New opsi Basic License: Almost All Paid Extensions Free for 30 Clients
Good news for everyone out there using opsi extensions: With our new Basic license you can install (almost) all our paid extension free of charge on up to 30 clients. This article gives a brief introduction to the new opsi license.
Which opsi Extensions are available?
As you know, you can extend opsi's functionality with various extensions. As of February 2023, we provide the following modules:
- Directory Connector: Transfer data from a directory service directly to opsi' management tool (Active Directory or Samba 4).
- License Management: Manage Software Licences in opsiconfiged, automatically allocate, reserve, and assign licenses.
- Linux Support: Manage Linux clients with opsi, unlimited starts of the opsi script interpreter.
- Local Images/Virtual Hard Disk: Quickly restore many opsi clients to a certain state, for example in the coffee break during a training or in the classroom after class.
- macOS Support: Unattended installations of
.zipfiles on macOS. Also included: patch management and installation of existing updates.
- MySQL Backend: Database backend for configuration data to enhance performance, especially in environments with more than 300 clients or distributed environments.
- Nagios Connector: Integrate opsi into your existing monitoring solution (Nagios/Icinga).
- Scalability: Start the opsi service with multiple worker processes and use all available CPU cores, run the opsi service on several servers in parallel.
- Secure Boot Support: Start only signed operating systems at boot time.
- UEFI/GPT Support: Manage UEFI clients in opsi environments via PXE boot, supports GPT (GUID Partition Table) and hard disks with more than 2 TByte storage capacity.
- User Roles: Restrict administrators' access to specific clients or client groups, products or certain settings.
- WAN/VPN Extension: Manage clients behind slow/unstable connections, intelligent caching mechanism.
- WIM-Capture: Capture a WIM (Windows Imaging Format) of existing systems including all application software and hotfixes, use the WIM to install new systems.
To unlock these paid extensions, you need an activation file which you will receive after you have purchased the extension.
The new Basic license unlocks all avaialble opsi modules available at the time of the release, except for Scalability, WAN/VPN, and macOS Support. This means you're free to install and use the other extensions on up to 30 opsi clients.
Renewable opsi Basic License: Valid for Current Calendar Year, Free and Easy to Get
The Basic license is valid for the current calendar year (currently from January 1 to December 31, 2023). If you want to continue using the opsi Basic license after December 31, 2023, you will need to obtain a new activation file. To make the process as simple as possible, we will always publish the new activation file on October 1 of the current year. This will give you plenty of time to acquire the file and ensure that your opsi software continues to function smoothly.
Getting the opsi Basic license and activation file is easy and free of charge. You can do so via opsi-basic. Registration is not required. However, before you download the license and activation file, it is important that you agree to the license agreement and the current terms and conditions of uib gmbh.
Understand the Limitations and Benefits of the Basic License
With the opsi Basic license, you can use the software once per end user, which means you can install it on up to 30 clients without having to worry about any additional fees or charges. Please note, that the Basic license cannot be transferred to other users or combined with other opsi licenses. The extensions provided with the Basic license do not differ from the purchase variant, which means you have full access to all the features and functionalities of opsi.
If you have more than 30 clients or need one of the above mentioned excluded modules, you will need to purchase a paid license. You can find more information about pricing and available extensions on our website.
The implementation of the opsi Basic license has been a challenging project, as we needed to completely overhaul the mechanism for unlocking opsi extensions. We also had to ensure that existing activation files remained valid, which added another layer of complexity to the process. However, we took great care during the implementation to ensure that everything was done correctly.
Get Started with the opsi Basic License today
We want to make sure that opsi users have the best possible experience with our software. If you have any questions or encounter any issues during the activation process, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or need help getting started: firstname.lastname@example.org